Design & Construction Job Descriptions & Questions
What is a Development Manager Job Description?
Basic overall responsibility:
Provides management assistance and coordination leadership on a wide variety of land development projects (in particular Vertical Construction Building Projects- office, hotel, retail, etc.) and cursory monitoring of partnership interests related to the construction oversight of vertical developments. The Project Manager must be capable of handling multiple project matters in a simultaneous manner. The successful candidate must be a self starter, be capable of “thinking on their feet”, represent the Company at various business and social functions and will interface with primary developer and other project partners. Candidate will report to the president of the real estate developer.
Among the specific project responsibilities are;
1) Land Development Responsibilities (“Land Development” is defined as the core business of the developer: the development and sale of developed property)
• Liaison with City of and other governmental officials, including organizing and attending meetings as required to resolve outstanding matters. Follows through with all pertinent parties to ensure that appropriate action on pending matters is done as required.
• Assist in the coordination of zoning matters with appropriate consultants, legal and governmental bodies.
• Ensures all plans and required submittals are processed with the appropriate government body and follows through to obtain approvals as required. Track progress of these submittals to receipt of required approvals.
• Coordinates, schedules and attends architectural design/schedule matters and follows through to ensure required action is done as required.
• Responsible for the coordination of land surveys, easements, etc. and works with surveyors, engineers etc. to ensure work is done as required.
• Assists in the interviewing and selection of outside consultants.
• Interviews and selects general contractors, subcontractors and other similar 3rd party vendors. Prepares and solicits bids for a variety of development required contracts.
• Coordinate environmental reviews and remediation efforts on various development projects.
• Monitors and coordinates the work effort of all project architects, engineers and consultants to ensure their scope of work is in conformance with the project budget, schedule and development guidelines.
• Coordinates draw submittal with accounting.
• Coordinates land maintenance activities.
2) The duties of each LLC member will be defined by a project specific Operating Agreement. The Assistant Development Manager’s responsibilities are guided by this agreement.
• Monitors construction activity and schedule. Visit project sites as appropriate with Development Partner’s staff for the purpose of understanding project schedule and budget as it relates to the overall interests of Land Development and the Vertical Development partnership interests.
• Prepare weekly reports regarding the status of the each vertical development including status of construction, cost variances, unresolved items and other project related reports. Includes photographs as appropriate.
• Reviews all project reports issued by the Developer of each Vertical Development. Able to analyze construction/development costs and understand the impact of these on the development.
• Monitors delivery dates to 3rd party buyers and understands the impact of these on project equity and profit distributions
• Maintains all project records per the office record keeping system.
• Monitors project closeout process including contract closeouts, punch list and final payments.
• Reviews monthly draw for conformance with Operating Agreement requirements.
• Aware of the sales and marketing activities, and understands how these relate to status of construction.
3) General Office Administration responsibilities
• Coordinates the maintenance of the physical plant of the office
• Coordinates general site maintenance
• Management of administrative assistant
• Maintains development records and drawings such as architect’s plans, civil/survey plans, environmental reports etc.
Key skills and expertise:
• Minimum 10 years of progressive development experience on commercial, retail, residential and land development projects.
• Recent, relevant direct experience with a area development firm
• Excellent computer skills, with emphasis on Word, Excel, Power Point, Internet access, the use of a digital camera and familiarity with the sending of documents and photographs via the internet.
• Solid understanding of environmental remediation procedures and permit application process.
• Familiarity with the workings of City Hall, knowledge of how to work with the Department of Planning and Development, Department of Buildings, Board of Underground and other appropriate City departments. Need to know your way around City Hall.
• College degree in related real estate field.
• Basic familiarity with financial terminology.
• Good organization, communication and administration skills
• Good oral, written and interpersonal skills
• Ability to perform under pressure
• Able to work with people at all levels
• Ability to prioritize work assignments and adapt to changing priorities
• Preference given to candidates residing in the metropolitan area
• Professional attitude, appearance and demeanor