The Chief Estimator is the primary member of the estimating team who has overall responsibility for the creation of budgets and estimates produced by the Special Projects District. The Chief Estimator is responsible for the oversight of the estimating process for all projects bid and awarded in the District, and will establish standardized procedures, methods and processes for estimating and training estimating resources in the use of the same.
The Chief Estimator will oversee analysis of past performance on projects and establish estimating standards for all future estimates based on such analysis, and assist in oversight of the historical cost database and bid management and estimating software.
The Chief Estimator has final word on procedures, processes, techniques and personnel decisions for assigned projects. The Chief Estimator works with the Manager of Special Projects and the Executive Vice President of Special Projects to oversee department standards for deliverables such as bid packages, deliverable formats and budget tracking tools.
Manages and coordinates the people, software and other resources used to perform the estimating functions. Projects range from fully defined (conventional “Bid-Build” Projects) to conceptual (alternative procurement such as “Design-Build” Projects).
Duties: ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Assigns responsibilities for estimating team on each project.
• Reviews project plans and specifications and coordinates with the team to confirm complete scope.
• Identify risk issues and their order of magnitude
• Solicit subcontractor and/or supplier information & pricing
• Assist in “Good Faith Efforts” as required
• Prepares instructions to bidders, bid form and other bid solicitation information as required.
• Performs and/or manages the quantity survey and pricing effort for internal budgets.
• Prepares conceptual budgets based on minimal information.
• Reviews general conditions, schedule, scopes of work, hoisting plans, site logistics and other exhibits as prepared by Operations.
• Ensures the flow of project information is maintained and documented.
• Reviews and/or manages the review and scoping of specialty contractor bids.
• Coordinates insurance requirements with Risk Manager.
• Coordinates technical proposal requirements with Marketing Department.
• Reviews constructability issues with operational staff.
• Maintains and communicates data on construction and material cost trends affecting project costs.
• Analyze alternate means and methods to determine the most economic alternative
• Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, specialty contractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer's expectations.
• Actively participates in industry, client and community relations to enhance company image.
• Performs other related duties as needed.
• Assist project personnel on successful proposals as follows:
ü Participate in the transfer of information on successful projects including the Job Kick-off Meeting
ü Assist in the preparation and review of work plans as requested
ü Participate in periodic reviews and visits to projects as appropriate
ü Pricing of change impacts as required
Qualifications: KNOWLEDGE, SKILL and ABILITIES
• Be proficient in all computer software programs used in estimating with particular emphasis on HCSS estimating software.
• Possess strong mathematical and computer skills. Proficiency with all MS Office products (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
• Expertise in one or more areas of heavy civil
• Ability to breakdown construction operations into a logical sequence of activities
• Ability to work in a team environment
• Ability to professionally communicate the basis for individual work product when in a highly stressed environment
• Ability and willingness to abide by Nicholson’s Construction’s policies on a daily basis environment.
• Must be able to meet deadlines and put in the time needed to get the job done.
• Effective oral and written communication skills
• Must be willing to travel.
• Candidates must possess a strong work ethic.
• Strong organizational, interpersonal skills.
• Good attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Administration, or equivalent related work experience.
• Minimum of 15 or more years estimating or project experience on heavy civil projects
• Minimum of 10 or more years estimating experience