Performs advanced fire safety and professional engineering work to include the review and approval of construction plans related to new commercial construction, subdivision, fire protection systems and other life safety systems for conformance with adopted fire and building codes, development codes, standards and other applicable regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Review and approves construction plans related to new commercial construction, subdivision, fire protection systems and other life safety systems for conformance with adopted fire and building codes, development codes, standards and other applicable regulations. Provides technical assistance by determining if plans comply with performance based codes or meeting alternative materials and methods.
• Conducts field inspections associated with plan reviews to ensure construction and installation of fire protection systems and features adheres to approved plans and is in conformance with applicable codes and standards; existing business/building inspections on occasion dealing primarily with special and/or hazardous occupancies and fire protection systems.
• Evaluates technical reports and performance based construction designs for conformance with accepted engineering practices. Evaluates the availability of water supplies and water delivery systems and components for conformance with fire code requirements. Evaluates reports to determine code compliance dealing with special occupancy hazards such as hazardous materials and high piled storage.
• Represents the Fire Department by participating in regularly scheduled meetings such as Engineering Review Committee, Development Review Committee, pre-construction meetings, etc.
• Provides technical assistance to include instructing/presenting on fire safety and prevention topics. Provides information on fire and life safety to the business, development and construction community along with the general public. Provides instruction to fire department personnel related to fire protection systems, building construction and other topics.
• Reviews and evaluates engineering reports and/or analysis related to alternative means and methods, new products or systems that are not identified in adopted codes or standards and performance based codes.
• Assists in fire investigations dealing with possible failure of structural, mechanical, electrical, fire alarm, fire sprinklers or other fire safety systems. Conducts technical analysis of system components, equipment, construction features to assist in the determination of fire origin and cause.
• Assists in development of ordinances, policies and adoption of fire code by providing input related to fire and building code amendments, new polices and/or ordinances related to fire safety based on loss history, engineering analysis or other information; assists in providing code interpretations.
Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or Fire Protection Engineering or related field AND five (5) years of experience in civil engineering or fire protection engineering, to include one year experience in evaluating fire protection systems and plan review. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City policy.
Valid Class D driver’s license. Position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City policy. Professional Engineer registration.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of: The role of modern municipal governments in the enforcement of development oriented regulations; the departmental structure and relationships in a municipal government organization; professional-level plans review and design techniques, methods and concepts, comments and approvals; professional and technical principles, practices techniques, and terminology associated with Fire Protection professional discipline. Specific knowledge of: The International Fire Code, International Building Code, and other codes in the International Family of Codes; National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards and codes; other nationally recognized standards (ANSI, ASTM, and all standards referenced in the applicable codes); Las Cruces Municipal Code; State of New Mexico statues and construction regulations; City of Las Cruces Subdivision Code, Design Standards, Zoning Code; Las Cruces Fire Department policies/procedures.
Skills in: Using a personal computer; word processing, spreadsheet, and data base software applications; using hydrology and hydraulic software applications; using engineering, drafting, Arc Map and GIS mapping software; communicating effectively, both orally and in writing.
Ability to: Perform engineering calculations, hydraulic and hydrology calculations, trigonometry, algebra, geometry and general mathematical calculations; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; establish effective working relationships with co-workers, developers, private engineers, and members of the public; perform technical reading and writing; effectively utilize engineering manuals, reports, design standards, and codes; analyze and evaluate many complex and significant variables; assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects and demands; coordinate multiple assignments and meet critical deadlines; take initiative and exercise sound independent judgment within areas of responsibility; organize data in order to extract meaningful information for performance budgeting.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
Valid Class D driver’s license. Position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City policy. State Professional Engineer registration.