Designs and serves as project management of various public works projects and programs, including roadways, utilities, buildings, traffic signals, traffic lighting, water/wastewater systems, natural gas systems, drainage structures, assessment district, traffic and bond issue projects.
This is a regular, full-time, FLSA exempt position, subject to extended work hours, including evenings and weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Plans, reviews, designs and certifies drawings for roadways, streets, drainage, utilities, buildings and other structures and systems; conducts field inspections of projects; signs and seals engineering plans, reports, specifications and contract documents.
* Drafts and creates engineering drawings from field data, sketches, drawings, raw data, diagrams and verbal/written narrative instructions; performs calculations of geometric designs for public works projects.
* Serves as project manager in coordinating the various aspects of design projects and engineering related programs, including preparing preliminary and final cost estimates; construction plans, contract documents, material specifications, acquisition of right of way and easements.
* Manages staff through appropriate delegation and work supervision; meets regularly with staff to discuss and resolve workload and technical issues; reviews work in progress in order to anticipate technical and management problems; recommends changes to improve the organization's functions and processes; interprets statutes and regulations.
* Supervises assigned staff; prioritizes and assigns tasks and projects; disciplines, trains, cross-trains and evaluates staff; counsels, coaches and instructs employees as required; monitors work and evaluates performance; ensures staff adhere to policies and procedures in compliance with local, state and federal regulations.
* Responds to inquiries from the public regarding information requests, complaints or concerns; provides information and documentation regarding various projects.
* Performs the lead role in the review and the coordination and administration of assessment districts, Bond Issue Projects in order to provide a coordinated, effective, cost-efficient project.
* Prepares Requests for Proposals for professional engineering services needed by the City.
* Coordinates projects with external agencies and other utility companies.
* Reviews construction plans for compliance with the City design standards, Subdivision Code and Uniform Building Code, and other applicable codes, guidelines and standards.
* Performs special studies of the existing infrastructure; recommends improvements and prepares technical reports.
* Provides mentoring and technical work direction to other engineering staff.
Bachelorís Degree in Civil Engineering PLUS six years of experience as a professional civil engineer; including some experience working in a public agency. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City policy.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Extensive knowledge of: Principles and practices of civil engineering and surveying; modern methods and techniques in the design, construction and maintenance of municipal projects; principles and practices of project management; pertinent City, state and federal policies, procedures, standards, codes and ordinances; principles and practices of effective employee supervision; principles and practices of administrative management.
Ability to: Read and interpret engineering plans and specifications and blueprints; understand contract documents, legal documents and visual aids; measure quantities of completed work; calculate surface areas and lineal distances apply established mathematical and statistical techniques to analyze data; conduct inspections; evaluate the work of contractors and consultants to establish compliance with project plans, specifications, laws, ordinances and standards; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; establish effective working relationships; use a personal computer and various software applications; operate engineering equipment; safely operate a motor vehicle and navigate across even and uneven surfaces.
Skills in: Personal computer, CADD system software, surveying and drafting equipment use; reading and interpreting rules and regulations, and effectively advising assigned staff on project issues.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
Valid driverís license is required. Position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City policy. State licensure as a Professional Engineer is required.